Re: gcc

* On 2013-08-09 at 03:47 BST, Paul Ackersviller wrote:

> > >Not the problem here, as I've never even been able to build gcc from
> > >pkgsrc.
> >
> > What problems did you run into?
>
> I shouldn't say too much since it's a year or so since I've tried,
> but from what I recall many problems cascaded from python not building
> on HP-UX.  Python was horribly painful to get going there last year,
> but I see the current 2.7.5 looks much more promising so far.

Right, I had a horrid time trying to get any recent-ish version of
Python building on HP/UX a few years ago, and had to settle on running
an older 2.5 and modifying our code to support that.

Great if a newer version helps, though.

> Assuming my memory is not faulty on this, is there some good reason
> why gcc should depend on python?

None at all, at least in a default configuration.  We depend heavily
on GCC from pkgsrc, and so have wired down its dependencies to avoid
circular problems, and python has never shown up here.