Re: pkg-config-0.26

On 2/10/12 5:05 PM, Anthony Mallet wrote:
On Friday, at 16:26, Julio Merino wrote:
| Good luck maintaining obsolete sources.  Or good luck rewriting this in
| C, but you'll soon realize that it's not as trivial as it seems.

The trivial version ... is trivial (i.e. the version merely extracting key:
value pairs and doing variable expansion). It can be written in about 15 lines
of 'awk' (bsd license excepted ;)

The complete version (handling recursive Require: and filtering duplicate
c/ldflags) definitely requires more work, but it is also definititely more
easily written in the "good scripting language" of your choice than in C (not
even talking about using glib just for that...). Of course you'd have to
implement all pkg-config bugs to have a really compatible version (Marc Espie
will probably confirm ;)

That's what I meant; I know that the trivial version is trivial, but there is much more to it as you say. I am afraid that the people claiming that rewriting pkg-config is trivial say so because they have not seen the corner cases.

Writing such a replacement in anything else other than C would not solve the current concerns in pkgsrc. The pkg-config package would then end up depending on a Python/Perl/whatever interpreter (on NetBSD at least), and I believe that's much "worse" than depending on glib. But anyway, pkg-config is just a build-time dependency, so not a huge huge deal.