Re: sqlite3 builtin.mk

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 01:09:45PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
 > I see three possible solutions:
 > 1) make builtin packages also link their files into work/.buildlink
 > -- for this, we need to create PLISTs for the builtin stuff, so
 > buildlink knows what to link there; on the other hand, if pursued
 > to extremes, will give us the option to disallow access to /usr to
 > the compiler and hardwire the dependencies completely (no surprises
 > if e.g. Mac OS X grows another library in the base system). Much
 > effort though, probably too much.
 > A partial implementation of this might only link the sqlite3.pc
 > file where it can be found, but I'm not fond of that idea.

This is what should be done, if we can stomach it.

I don't think there's any need to bite it off all at once though; a
good start would be to allow a builtin.mk to define a list of files to
buildlink. At the moment all this needs to include for any builtin
package is the pkg-config file, but we could add other material in the
future, piece by piece.

This approach also helps move towards a world where builtin handling
and native X11 handling use the same mechanisms, which is I think a
good plan.

(But I don't know how much work it takes under the covers to be able
to do just the first step like this.)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost