use of print/texlive/package.mk

I have just tried to build a package for the forloop LaTeX package by
copying the print/tex-a0poster Makefile.  The resulting Makefile is
below.  However, when I tried to run 'make makesum', only various
NetBSD repositories were checked.  Similarly, the command

     make show-var VARNAME=MASTER_SITES

yielded a list of NetBSD sites, not CTAN sites.  As a result, it seems
that the following clause in print/texlive/package.mk

     .if empty(TEXLIVE_USE_CTAN)
     MASTER_SITES?=     ${MASTER_SITE_BACKUP}
     .else
     MASTER_SITES?=     ${MASTER_SITE_TEX_CTAN:=systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/}
     .endif

has no effect on pointing to CTAN.  Note that if the MASTER_SITES line
in the Makefile below is not commented out, everything works fine.

Perhaps I am doing this wrong, but this is exactly what
print/tex-a0poster does.

I would appreciate an explanation of what is going on here and how to
fix it.

Thanks alot.

Cheers,
Brook

# $NetBSD$
#

DISTNAME=       forloop
PKGNAME=        tex-${DISTNAME}-3.0
# XXX - MASTER_SITES seems to be required to fetch from CTAN; why?
# MASTER_SITES= ${MASTER_SITE_TEX_CTAN:=systems/texlive/tlnet/archive/}

MAINTAINER=     pkgsrc-users%NetBSD.org@localhost
COMMENT=        Provide the LaTeX command \forloop

.include "../../print/texlive/package.mk"
.include "../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk"