Improvements to the bootstrap script

Hi Georg

please keep in mind though that for a given system there might not be a working cvs installation at the time of bootstrapping, so I'd advise against making that default at least.

Yes I know. But no one of the suggested function shouldn't be default, or at least you should have the choice to e.g. set the path to a already existing pkgsrc tree, or download and extract pkgsrc.tar.gz.

If it is specific to an OS only, I'd consider using a wrapper script for bootstrapping (which does not replicate the functionality of bootstrap but which does the extra stuff for that OS and then evokes bootstrap). This could also be considered for synching maybe. If the functionalities are clearly sequential and are not closely interwoven why not separate them in different scripts?

Maybe your right, but that's why I would like to discuss it. As I mentioned, we already got a wrapper script to do all the suggested functions for Illumos/Openindiana, but I talked to different people in the pkgsrc community, that didn't liked the idea of more wrappers.

So what you want is to define certain aliases for some "standard" prefixes?

Yes. Our ipp script can do this. If you just run ipp bootstrap, it will bootstrap to /opt/ipp/pkg. If you run ipp bootstrap -e test, it will bootstrap to /opt/ipp/test etc.

to my knowledge it is in fact possible to choose the compiler to use.

Well, kind of. It not as easy as I like it to be. In ipp you could do ipp bootstrap -c clang, and it would bootstrap using the host compiler, then install lang/clang, then reinstall all the stuff that needs to reinstalled, and then generate a mk.conf with PKGSRC_COMPILER=clang f2c

Isn't it possible to put those OS-specific things into the appropriate architecture-specific configuration files in pkgsrc/mk?

I guess it is.

Cheers,
Mads Worsøe Duun