Re: graphics/jpeg Vs graphics/libjpeg-turbo

David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On 12 December 2010 21:45, David Sainty <dave%dtsp.co.nz@localhost> wrote:
>> Apart from knowing that people (distributions) have been successful in
>> relying on ABI compatibility, it does seem like there might be some
>> corner cases where that doesn't work. I think libjpeg's API has grown
>> new (obscure) features over time, it seems plausible that libjpeg-turbo
>> hasn't achieved 100% coverage. In principle anyway...

The key question is if libjpeg-turbo people view any binary non-compat
as a bug.  It seems pretty clear that they should and probably do.

> Swapping out shared libraries at runtime rather than compile time makes
> me somewhat twitchy :)

Sure, but this is something a user could do if they want.  If they build
source packages, they'll have built binaries against it.

> Maybe we run a test bulk build with libjpeg-turbo, test it and if it
> works just switch to it by default on i386 & amd64?

That (switching normal people to libjpeg-turbo) seems quite a bit
scarier.