Re: "doc" option

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 02:46:52AM +0300, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>>> I maintain several packages with a number of options and don't see
>>> the problem,
>>> what exactly is it?
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 07:29:14AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>> I'm curious which split packages have been easier.  The two I've been
>>> involved with (amanda, gimp-print) have been very painful.  I maintain
>>> several packages with conditonal PLISTs and those have been less trouble
>>> (although simler to start with).
>>
>> For me, the main problem is that quite a few packages do change their
>> installed files quite a bit over time, and the automatic tools for
>> managing PLISTs (i.e. make print-PLIST) isn't smart enough to pick up
>> ${PLIST.foo} from the existing PLIST. For these packages, updating the
>> PLISTs is a pain IMO.
>
> Good point; I usually find small changes and hand-merge them in.  I
> wonder how hard it is to spiff up print-PLIST, compared to the other
> options being talked about.  Already mkpatches grabs comments from
> existing patch files, and looking for an entry with a prefix and
> carrying over the prefix seems doable.

I usually add rules that catch files known as optional,
see math/fricas/options.mk and lang/erlang/Makefile.versions that
demonstrates another problem solved the same way.
I don't see how that presents so big a problem you all describe.

(math/fricas/PLIST is about 2000 lines long and about 1000 files
are marked with "x11" option, another 1000 files has suffix that
depends on Lisp implementation which is optional too.)

--
HE CE3OH...