Re: "doc" option

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 02:46:52AM +0300, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>> I maintain several packages with a number of options and don't see
>> the problem,
>> what exactly is it?
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 07:29:14AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I'm curious which split packages have been easier.  The two I've been
>> involved with (amanda, gimp-print) have been very painful.  I maintain
>> several packages with conditonal PLISTs and those have been less trouble
>> (although simler to start with).
>
> For me, the main problem is that quite a few packages do change their
> installed files quite a bit over time, and the automatic tools for
> managing PLISTs (i.e. make print-PLIST) isn't smart enough to pick up
> ${PLIST.foo} from the existing PLIST. For these packages, updating the
> PLISTs is a pain IMO.

Good point; I usually find small changes and hand-merge them in.  I
wonder how hard it is to spiff up print-PLIST, compared to the other
options being talked about.  Already mkpatches grabs comments from
existing patch files, and looking for an entry with a prefix and
carrying over the prefix seems doable.