Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/flavor/pkg

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 09:29:50PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> My point, which you have ignored entirely, is that doing exactly this
> during a scheduled downtime is currently the only remotely
> sane/feasible way to update Perl. There is no way around this problem
> without requiring extra pkgsrc installs and/or chroots.

How is this different from what "make update" does other than that "make
update" doesn't pretend that anything is usable in the mean time.

> Again, it seems to me that you are working towards a world where extra
> pkgsrc installs and/or chroots are mandatory, and I think that this is
> seriously misguided.

If you care about keeping your systems running, anything else is
misguided. I certainly don't want to start compiling any non-trivial
package during a maintainance window.

Joerg