Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/flavor/pkg

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:40:13PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> The problem I am having is that things are being changed to support the
>> non-replace approach with destdir that are causing regressions with make
>> replace.  I think make replace really should work before we turn on
>> destdir by default - but we already have.
>
> Have you considered that you problem you are facing with osabi is the
> correct behavior for most other cases?

That sounds like "no one should ever use make replace".  No, it isn't
the correct behavior, if one accepts that make replace causing an unsafe
state and pkg_rr doing a further make replace to straighten things out
is reasonable.  I think it's reasonable, and there's a significant user
community.  It's perfectly ok for you not to want to do this.  The
alternative to accepting make replace as it has been is to say that the
only way to update is to remove all depending packages and
rebuild/reinstall afterwards.  That would be a huge policy shift for
pkgsrc, and no one has proposed it.  It leads to either the brokenness
make update causes (that was the impetus for pkg_rr) or telling people
they have to use prebuilt binary packages as the only way to update
(which may been setting up a chroot and building themselves).