Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/flavor/pkg

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:48:30PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
 > >  > I am using "make replace". I do know when it is sane to use and when
 > >  > not. What you are doing is "I don't care about breaking dependencies".
 > >
 > > Anyway, your reasoning is spurious. There *is* no useful way to update
 > > Perl besides pkg_rr or similar without setting up a whole extra pkgsrc
 > > installation to do bulk builds in.
 >
 > My reasoning is that there is no sane way to do incremental updates of a
 > tiny version bump of Perl. All Perl modules are broken in the mean time,
 > so the incremental updates provide at best zero value. "make replace" by
 > itself works well for exactly one case: no ABI constrain was broken.

Yes, and if I "make replace" Perl and then every Perl module in a
suitable tsorted order, like steam_roller does, it's no longer broken.

My point, which you have ignored entirely, is that doing exactly this
during a scheduled downtime is currently the only remotely
sane/feasible way to update Perl. There is no way around this problem
without requiring extra pkgsrc installs and/or chroots.

Again, it seems to me that you are working towards a world where extra
pkgsrc installs and/or chroots are mandatory, and I think that this is
seriously misguided.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost