Re: Quality Assurance Tinderbox (build packages on commit and report failures)

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:35:38AM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
 > [...]
 > Reports and automated notifications of failures on-commit for pkgsrc
 > seems like a great idea. Why wait for someone to report a bug or do a
 > long bulk build when we can find out quickly (days versus minutes)?

Why would it be more quickly? The issue with bulk builds is that they
take a long time because if someone commits e.g. perl or glib2 a large
number of expensive packages have to be rebuilt afterwards.

I don't see how this would avoid that effect.

However, I wonder if it makes sense to have a tool that uploads
results incrementally and also schedules the its rebuilds to do the
fastest packages first. (I suspect this would be more than just a new
operating mode for pbulk...)

Hmm......

--
David A. Holland