Re: pkgsrc performance

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 04:47:59PM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
> Quentin Garnier schrieb:
> > Also, it gains very little to modify the bl3.mk files that don't include
> > any other, which I think is a big part of them, so we can concentrate on
> > those who include other bl3.mk files first.
> >
> > I intend to have a try at descending the include tree from
> > gnome-control-center and see how much of an impact each level makes.
>
> I did exactly this, and after modifying only six files (somewhere in the
> middle of the GNOME dependencies), the parsing time went down to 3
> seconds. Before, it had been 20 seconds.

I've just done the whole top level for gnome-control-center and it went
down from ~49 seconds to ~6.

There is a big jump very early when doing that.  I can only speculate,
but I think we would hit some limit in make after which it went into
some degenerated and very slow state.  Either because it keeps a list
of all file ever included somewhere, or because of the ever-growing
BUILDLINK_ORDER variable.

Speaking of BUILDLINK_ORDER, I'd like to tweak slightly my proposal for
how bl3.mk files should look like, and move BUILDLINK_ORDER management
in the space executed at every inclusion.  It does make it grow larger,
but it will make show-buildlnk3 output more useful than if it only shows
the location of the first inclusion.  An alternative is to manage it
both in the "first inclusion" part and the "top-level inclusion" part,
but it's a bit more complicated.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost