Re: pkgsrc performance

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:06:40PM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
> Roland Illig schrieb:
> > I just checked the devel category, and a majority of the bl3.mk files
> > (200 vs. 28) have their first few lines in the standard format. I'll see
> > what's left after I finished the "simple script".
>
> The first version of the "simple script" is finished. It reports:
>
> $ ./isbl3.pl */*/buildlink3.mk | awk '{print$1}' | sort | uniq -c
>     602 DEF
>      86 MOD1
>      63 MOD2
>      12 MOD3
>     408 MOD4
>      66 MOD5
>
> That means: about 50 percent of the current buildlink3.mk files are in
> their simples form, as is generated by createbuildlink3. The MODx means
> a deviation in the x'th paragraph.

Before we jump the gun, I think we should have a try to see how much of
a difference it does, performance-wise.  From just modding glib2's
bl3.mk file, I know that pcre's bl3.mk files is included about 3 times
less according to ktrace, when running make in gnome-control-center.
But I haven't measured the time it takes.

Also, it gains very little to modify the bl3.mk files that don't include
any other, which I think is a big part of them, so we can concentrate on
those who include other bl3.mk files first.

I intend to have a try at descending the include tree from
gnome-control-center and see how much of an impact each level makes.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost