Re: 2008Q1 -> current: downgrade

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 01:22:30PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>  >> i.e. 0.14.2,1 above needs to become 1<sep>0.14.2. A missing epoch
>  >> number and separator means the epoch defaults to 0 for the epoch.
>
> > I don't care about the exact syntax, only about the overall semantics.
> > The syntax I suggested is what FreeBSD does, but I agree that it's
> > counter-intuitive.
>
> > Aleksey Cheusov posted something from Debian, in which they would use
> > "1:0.14.2".  I'd be happy with that too.
>
> As far as I understand nobody is currently working on EPOCH
> functionality of pkgsrc. I also assume that you, pkgsrc developers,
> agreed that this functionality will be helpful for pkgsrc.
> Can I send-pr a change-request about it?

I'm sorry, but I'm still not convinced there's a huge need for it.

I wanted to know when we'd use epoch, and have only had hand-waving
answers.  I don't feel it's prudent to do this to every package for
just a small number of packages over the last 10 years which can be
worked around.

Regards,
Alistair