Re: 2008Q1 -> current: downgrade

On Mon, 05 May 2008, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> PKGPATH           PKGBASE      PKGSRC-2008Q1 HEAD
> devel/stgit       stgit        20080220     0.14.2
> devel/python-mode python-mode  4.54nb1      1.0
>
> As far as I understand such situations should not appear.
> I think this is a bug.

FreeBSD addressed this by adding an "epoch" counter, which starts off
being undefined, but gets incremented whenever the package numbering
goes backwards.  In the printable version of a package version, it's
an extra number at the end, delimited by a comma.  In version number
comparisons, it has a higher priority than the rest of the number.

For example, instead of going from "stgit-20080220" to "stgit-0.14.2"
one could go to "stgit-0.14.2,1", where the trailing ",1" means
"numbering has gone backwards once".

--apb (Alan Barrett)