Re: open issue of *OWN/*GRP variables and installation to DESTDIR

In article <4782CF36.3080500%NetBSD.org@localhost> Roland wrote:
: Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
: > On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:43:23PM +0100, Klaus Heinz wrote:
: >> In the case of ROOT_USER and ROOT_GROUP this loss of information was
: >> solved with REAL_ROOT_USER and REAL_ROOT_GROUP but the issue still
: >> remains open for all the other variables.
: >
: > I would do it the very same way for all the user variables. The question
: > remains if we really need 100 different user variables which essentially
: > ends up as the same user in the end.

: I asked myself the same question: Most packages can install their
: executables with permission 555 and their data files with 444, so it
: doesn't matter at all whom they belong to.

  The owner of a file can change a file even if it is mode 444:
        chmod 644 <file>
is allowed for the owner.

                              yours,
                              dillo