Re: Remove plip(4)?

On Sun, 27 Nov 2022 20:58:27 -0500 (EST), Mouse wrote:

>>> This looks dubious to me.
>>> [...]
>> The pin 17 connection also seem odd to me after reading more about it.
>> [...] and it does seem that in the extended modes (EPP/ECP) the
>> functionality of some pins are changed: [...]
>
> Is EPP/ECP relevant to PLIP?  The plip(4) manpages I have at ready hand
> (5.2 and 9.0) specifically disclaim any such need:
>
>      Data is transferred 4 bits at a time, using the printer status
>      lines for input: hence there is no requirement for special
>      bidirectional hardware and any standard AT-compatible printer port
>      with working interrupts may be used.
>
> /~\ The ASCII				  Mouse \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML		mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

You are correct, they are not needed for the implementation used here,
there are some other ones that do use it IIRC.

I picked up another random thrift shop find that looked like a LapLink
cable, but is actually just a straight-through parallel cable, oh well.

After looking over this thread again, the simple solution may be to
physically remove pin 17 on both ends of the cable I already have. Seems
simple enough and would make it compliant with the spec in the NetBSD page.