DHCP vs RARP?

In the 1.4T days, my netboot setup usually used RARP to assign
addresses.  (Still does, for the ROM-code stage of some of my
machines, and for the occasional case where I netboot 1.4T.)

I recently tried to run something newer on one of my SPARCs.  The 1.4T
netboot bootblock crashed trying to load the newer kernel, so I tried a
bootblock from the same vintage as the kernel.  The newer bootblock
code uses DHCP isntead of RARP to get its address.

But my /etc/ethers had a long list of MACs that all got the same IP, so
I could netboot the same diskless setup on whichever hardware I'm
trying to use at the moment:

08:00:20:00:85:81	10.0.1.11
08:00:20:02:b5:60	10.0.1.11
08:00:20:03:a1:f4	10.0.1.11
08:00:20:08:02:44	10.0.1.11
08:00:20:09:59:34	10.0.1.11
08:00:20:0a:1e:95	10.0.1.11
08:00:20:0b:cd:c7	10.0.1.11
...etc.

When I convert this to a dhcpd.conf clause with multiple "hardware
ethernet" lines, it doesn't work.  I don't see any obvious complaints
anywhere, but dhcpd hands out an address as if it didn't recognize the
hardware address.  (It might work if the address is the first in the
list, or the last, or some such; I haven't experimented that much.)

The dhcpd in question is relatively old ("isc-dhcp-V3.0.3", according
to the leases file - I don't know where else to get a version number
for it from).  Would this be fixed by importing a newer dhcpd, or is it
another case of software being improved until it can't do what used to
be easy?

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign