Re: Question about NetBSD implementation of IPv6 SLAAC and RFC4941

On 09/04/2020 12:34, Roy Marples wrote:
On 09/04/2020 12:20, Martin Husemann wrote:
Are you suggesting an in-kernel DHCPv6 client that supports RFC 5970 as well
to fill the gaps?

Yes. This likely is not very important though, as most setups will be
dual stack and be able to boot from a private IPv4 address instead.
But in principle we should have feature parity for IPv4-only and IPv6-only
setups.

Then I suggest the existing complex RA handling be removed and simpler code added alongside this DHCPv6 code.
After all, both only need to do enough for userland to boot.

Actually it might be possible to make it work without RA - delegate the prefix and supply an IA_NA address within it.

Roy