Re: Question about NetBSD implementation of IPv6 SLAAC and RFC4941

On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 12:02:22PM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> On 09/04/2020 11:29, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 11:04:24AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> > > Using this approach, the in kernel DHCP client could also be removed.
> >
> > Quickly testing ordinary kernels without big effort via netbooting is
> > a very important feature. Using that setup for emergency recovery
> > and a quick root-on-NFS to fix the broken usual root is extremely convenient.
> >
> > I would realy hate to see that setup become more complex.
>
> I don't see it as any more complex.

If I can't test the kernel I want to test as-is, it is useless.

If I have to build a special ramdisk module for it, it is more complex -
even ignoring for the moment that on most architectures the bootloader
will not be able to pre-load that module.

> > I would suggest to add a simple kernel option to solicit RAs similar
> > to the DAD handling, and also fill any gaps that we might have for
> > root-on-NFS-via-IPv6.
>
> Are you suggesting an in-kernel DHCPv6 client that supports RFC 5970 as well
> to fill the gaps?

Yes. This likely is not very important though, as most setups will be
dual stack and be able to boot from a private IPv4 address instead.
But in principle we should have feature parity for IPv4-only and IPv6-only
setups.

Martin