Re: lib/42405: libc: getaddrinfo() should perform T_A lookups before T_AAAA lookups, was: Resolver problems

* Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> [2009-12-04 16:45]:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 10:19:36AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > I see.  Well, perhaps some kind of "don't do AAAA lookups" runtime
> > config would help such people.
>
> Yes, that is the solution which is currently discussed. Ideally
> wand the following settings:
>
> Query AAAA first, then A
> Query A first, than AAAA
> Query only AAAA
> Query only A

fwiw, we have that in openbsd. from resolv.conf(5):

     family      Specify which type of Internet protocol family to prefer, if
                 a host is reachable using different address families. By de-
                 fault IPv4 addresses are queried first, and then IPv6 ad-
                 dresses.  The syntax is:

                       family family1 [family2]

                 A maximum of two families can be specified, where family can
                 be any of:

                       inet4     IPv4 queries.
                       inet6     IPv6 queries.

--