Re: wiconfig(8) and non-wi(4) 802.11 drivers

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 01:56:05AM -0400, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to mention:  I'm not subscribed to this list, so
> please cc me in replies.
>
> Initially I wanted to use the microwave oven mode to tweak some flags
> in bwi(4), but I realize now that that wouldn't make much sense.  I
> don't think there's anything remaining of interest to me for bwi(4),
> but this does bring up the question of what should substitute for
> wiconfig(8), whether the ioctl/wi_req interface should change, and
> whether NetBSD is waiting for someone to do the substitution and
> changes.  It might be ifconfig(8), still using the same ioctl/wi_req
> interface; any other thoughts?

Taylor,

For getting/setting IEEE 802.11 parameters, you should use the
SIOC[SG]80211* ioctls, exclusively.

I may be able to help you better if you say more about what you want
to accomplish.  For example, what are the bwi(4) parameters that you
want to adjust?

ifconfig(8) should substitute for wiconfig(8).  Where ifconfig(8) is
lacking in the 802.11 department, we are still waiting for somebody to
make the changes.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24