Re: Proposal, again: Disable autoload of compat_xyz modules

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 06:45:44PM +0200, Maxime Villard wrote:
> Le 26/09/2019 à 18:15, Manuel Bouyer a écrit :
> > >
> > > Nobody is making compat_linux work, nobody is making compat_linux secure.
>
> My experience with a Linux program using forks and signals is that it does not
> work at all; the children get killed randomly for no reason, the parent doesn't
> receive the signals, and after some time everything needs to be killed and
> restarted to work again. Completely broken. I didn't manage to find where
> exactly the problem was.
>
> Under reasonable assumptions, compat_linux indeed used to be the most
> maintained compat layer we had. This isn't the case anymore. Under reasonable
> assumptions as well, it has a marginal use case, and can be disabled.
>
> Maybe Manuel can understand that for a minute? Or is he still looking for
> evidence that I'm not the Pope?

I'm conviced you're not the pope.
You don't seem to understand that I use compat_linux on a regular
basis. Probably not with the same softwares as you, but it does work for me.

I forgot to mention, I also use it with opera.

> > Secure, I don't know.
>
> Well Manuel can pretend everything he wants, but when it comes to security and
> compat_linux, we're entering the world of facts, and not reasonable assumptions.

I never contested your facts on this topic. "I don't know" just means that:
I don't know. I've not looked at the code, nor at any changes in this
area for a long time.