Re: svr4, again

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 9:46 AM Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 05:32:47PM +0100, Maxime Villard wrote:
> Le 19/12/2018 ?? 13:46, Maxime Villard a ??crit :
> > Le 18/12/2018 ?? 21:38, Christos Zoulas a ??crit :

> > > Just remove it already :-) If we want it back we can resurrect it.
> > >
> > > christos
> >
> > so, I will remove
>
> Done.
>
> While I'm at it, there was a conversation about compat_ibcs2 [1]. See
> the thread, basically it is a compat for SVR3 on Vax. It seems that no
> one knew exactly what was the purpose of it.

It's misnamed ("IBCS2" stands for "Intel Binary Compatibility Standard"
and is a vestige of various early 286/386 System V ports not quite having
ABI compatibility).  It is really the SVR3 compatibility code, period.

This has some value.  Beyond its original purpose of running System V
binaries on x86, without it I think we may lose the ability to run
native-OS binaries for several platforms where the hardware vendors
added some System V syscalls to BSD kernels.  I'd tread carefully here.

It was used to run SCO and Xenix/386 binaries. And the different flavors of it are a vestige of the system calls not being completely compatible between systems. On FreeBSD, it's had way way more users and use than SYSV ever did as many folks transitioned their SCO binaries to FreeBSD and used then for 20 years afterwards... FreeBSD ditched SYSV maybe 2 years ago, but we still have IBCS in the tree because people are still using it (last we checked) and bug fixes / reports are still trickling in...

Which is a long way of saying 'be careful' :)

Warner