Re: svr4, again

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 05:32:47PM +0100, Maxime Villard wrote:
> Le 19/12/2018 ?? 13:46, Maxime Villard a ??crit :
> > Le 18/12/2018 ?? 21:38, Christos Zoulas a ??crit :

> > > Just remove it already :-) If we want it back we can resurrect it.
> > >
> > > christos
> >
> > so, I will remove
>
> Done.
>
> While I'm at it, there was a conversation about compat_ibcs2 [1]. See
> the thread, basically it is a compat for SVR3 on Vax. It seems that no
> one knew exactly what was the purpose of it.

It's misnamed ("IBCS2" stands for "Intel Binary Compatibility Standard"
and is a vestige of various early 286/386 System V ports not quite having
ABI compatibility).  It is really the SVR3 compatibility code, period.

This has some value.  Beyond its original purpose of running System V
binaries on x86, without it I think we may lose the ability to run
native-OS binaries for several platforms where the hardware vendors
added some System V syscalls to BSD kernels.  I'd tread carefully here.

--
 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls%panix.com@localhost
  "Whether or not there's hope for change is not the question.  If you