Re: Cnmagic support for wscons

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 13:30:15 +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 01:59:06PM +1100, Nathanial Sloss wrote:
>
> > Mapping KS_Cmd_Debugger would also work but I'm unsure as to how
> > to do this without using wskbd key sequences in the magic.
>
> I don't understand - if you just assing KS_Cmd_Debugger somewhere,
> why would you need cnmagic?

Exactly.  You need cnmagic(9) for detecting debugger _sequence_
in-band like in serial console.

Your patch doesn't provide any documentation or an accompaning
description, so I'm not sure what exactly it does, e.g. what should
cnmagic value look like for wskbd?  But in general it's not even
entirely clear to me what a semantic of cnmagic(9) for wskbd could be.
Should it use individual key-presseses as the basic input stream it
parses?  If yes, you will lose the ability to use, e.g., *both*
C-A-Esc and A-C-Esc _chords_ to break into debuger, because with
wskbd(4) keyboard mapping they are the same _chords_, but with
cnmagic(9) they are different _sequences_.

I'd also say that the very fact that the patch doesn't use
cn_check_magic(9) indicates in some sense that it probably does not
implement "cnmagic support for wscons". :)

-uwe