Re: NetBSD-based file servers

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 08:41:39PM +0100, Edgar Fuß wrote:
> After the recent problems[*] we've been having with our (4.0/amd64) file
> server, I'll surely be facing the question why we're not using that other OS
> everybody else does.
>
> So I need some data for that upcoming discussion. Who is using NetBSD to
> operate a file server on a scale comparable to or larger than ours, i.e. ~200
> users, ~1TB storage? If so, which version on what kind of hardware?

This looks like the use I have at work. I'm using a dual-Xeon server
(8 cores) with LSI logic SCSI adapters and 2 SCSI/SATA RAID array
(I moved to external SATA RAID array with SCSI connectivity some
years ago). As I don't trust the SATA RAID array that much,
they are in raidframe RAID-1 :)
The server is running 5.1_STABLE of a few months back. I upgraded
several times to get bug fixes.

> [*] Panic on quotaoff, HD failure on parity rebuild, failure to negotiate
> sync SCSI with the replacement drive on attach, another panic when trying to
> interrupt the reconstruction, lost disklabel on the RAID set afterwards, then
> a damaged FS with need for manual fsck. Loads of fun from ~1pm to ~1am.

Some of these problems may be fixed in 5.1_STABLE.