Re: NetBSD-based file servers

> So I need some data for that upcoming discussion. Who is using NetBSD to ope$

Please don't use paragraph-length lines.

> So I need some data for that upcoming discussion.  Who is using
> NetBSD to operate a file server on a scale comparable to or larger
> than ours, i.e. ~200 users, ~1TB storage?  If so, which version on
> what kind of hardware?

I'm not sure what counts as a "file server", but at one of my jobs our
main backup host has a dozen "1T" (actually about 931G) disks in two
RAIDs, one providing a little under 1T of space and the other providing
about 7¼T of space.  NetBSD 4.0.1 with a few tweaks (stock 4.0.1 had
some 32-bit issues that started breaking things in the TB range) on
peecee-architecture hardware.  Rackmount server, but it's NetBSD/i386.
Fairly old hardware, too; when it was first set up, 2.0 had just been
released.

User count...that depends on how you measure "users".  The machine has
very few logins, because end users don't log in to it directly.  It
pulls backups from customer machines.  But, while I haven't counted
(and in some cases am not in a position to count), I'd be surprised if
there were fewer than 200 end users whose data this machine handles.

\ / Ribbon Campaign