Re: Removing softdep

On Jun 7, 2008, at 12:01 PM, Jukka Marin wrote:

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 01:11:42PM -0400, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
Data integrity sounds great, but data integrity without performance
is..

You've got that backwards in a major way.

Performance without data integrity is totally useless.  You may as
well turn off your computers and go back to pen and paper.

Heh. Well, I do care for my data (RAID6 and multiple backup schemes), but I have never lost any data because of softdeps, so I don't consider it a
big risk in my case.

You've clearly never had a crash/outage during the middle of a large build or something accessing a lot of files.

I've had times I had to fsck, it fills /lost+found, clear that out and repeat multiple times before things came back...

James

Without decent performance, I could go back to pen and paper as well.

I thought softdeps were helping reads as well, but maybe I was wrong.
In that case, journalling sounds great.

 -jm