Re: Removing softdep

On 7-Jun-08, at 3:01 PM, Jukka Marin wrote:
Heh. Well, I do care for my data (RAID6 and multiple backup schemes), but I have never lost any data because of softdeps, so I don't consider it a
big risk in my case.

The problems with softdeps, as I've experienced them, are that often you won't really know you have a problem until its too late (i.e. where restoring from backups is complicated by the fact you've got to go back several days and perhaps do several restores before finding clean data), or sometimes the simplest little system failure can quickly cascade into one requiring a full wreck and rebuild instead of a simple reboot.

I personally don't dare to use softdeps on any critical file system any more, even on systems with hardware RAID and a good UPS, etc. I'll only use it for the likes of /usr/pkg or /usr/obj, etc. where everything can be thrown away or replaced with minimal hassle.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>