Re: Removing softdep

--- On Sat, 6/7/08, Jukka Marin <jmarin%embedtronics.fi@localhost> wrote:

> From: Jukka Marin <jmarin%embedtronics.fi@localhost>
> Subject: Re: Removing softdep
> To: "Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill%invisible.ca@localhost>
> Cc: "Martin Husemann" <martin%duskware.de@localhost>, "Andrew Doran"
> <ad%NetBSD.org@localhost>, tech-kern%NetBSD.org@localhost
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 08:17:15PM -0400, Jared D. McNeill
> wrote:
> > Seconded. To achieve the same performance as I have
> today with softdeps,
> > it is crucial that I must be able to switch to
> journaled ffs without hassle.
>
> Will the journaled fs give us the same performance as
> softdeps?  Does
> journalling improve read performance?
>
> I have been using softdeps with success for meny years on
> every machine I
> have.  Without softdeps, disk performance suffers when
> accessing lots of
> small files (like when building software).
>
> Data integrity sounds great, but data integrity without
> performance is..
>
>   -jm

I don't think any software technique can help you if your drive does write
caching that the OS cannot control or at least influence. Journaling offers
fast restarts via journal playback, that's the biggest advantage practically.

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot
with the All-new Yahoo! Mail.  Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail
today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca