usb at pcmcia?

Do we have support for PCMCIA (or cardbus) cards that provide USB?  If
so, when did it show up?  My laptop (an IBM WorkPad - hpcmips) running
3.1 prints nothing at all on the console upon inserting such a card
(normally I get autoconf-style messages upon inserting a PCMCIA card).
While I hesitate to swtich to 4.0 both for bloat reasons and because of
bugs such as the one in PR 38643, I might give it a try if it means
that USB-at-PCMCIA works (this laptop doesn't have SCSI and doesn't
have a tape drive, so there's a decent chance 38643's bug won't
manifest).

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost