Re: Removing GENERIC.local from the repository

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:31:42AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
 > > Me too, I think, except furthermore, until we got "no foo", it never
 > > seemed very useful. Now it is, though.
 >
 > You can view it the other way around too -
 > now that we can mostly do "no xxx" for arbitrary xxx, it is just as easy to
 > have your own config file include GENERIC and do some modifications after
 > that. Which, in my eyes, makes a pretty useless feature like the .local
 > include even more useless.

Well, it's not quite the same, because the way things are you can put
custom stuff in .local and make a distribution with install images
that include said stuff. This is convenient if you want to install a
weird machine and don't want to wade through src/distrib to figure out
how to make a custom installer. Of course, you can also just edit
GENERIC and INSTALL.

The other purpose that line serves is to document the existence of the
include feature where everyone can see it. Maybe the right thing to do
is create a heavily commented CUSTOM that includes GENERIC and
disables certain widely-unused things like mca, so people will see it,
learn from it, and use it as a starting point.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost