Re: Quick and dirty embedded OS

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 10:49:08AM +0200, Werner Backes wrote:
> That's true but the original question was about "low end PDAs" like
> Palm M. The older Palm models like "Palm M" oder "Palm III" have
> a Motorola Dragonball CPU which does not have a MMU. Another issue
> could be the clock speed which usually is about 16 or 33 MHZ for the
> Dragonball compared with >200MHz for MIPS or StrongArm.

I understand.  The clock speed is not an issue.  My early NetBSD
work was on similarly-powered mac68k systems (16MHz 68020+68851+68881).
The MMU is (68851 is the MMU above, 68030 & up have the MMU built in).

NetBSD would take a lot of work to make it run without an MMU.
Looking at higher-end PDAs/HPCs is a compromise--NetBSD already
runs to some extent on a number of them.  It all depends on where
your interest really is--are you strongly tied to that hardware,
or are you interested in leveraging the development with NetBSD?

-allen

--
                  Use NetBSD!  http://www.netbsd.org/