tech-cluster archive

Re: cluster install (was Re: Welcome to tech-cluster)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, John P. Campbell wrote:

> 1) What do they mean when they say, "I want a cluster?"

BTW, for anybody interested in clusters who hasn't already read it,
I very highly recommend Gregory Pfister's _In Search Of Clusters_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0138997098). It covers
all sorts of different types of clustering and goes into quite a lot
of technical detail about how various kinds of clustering technologies
work. It's been more valuable than everything else I've read on clusters
put together.

Just as a data point, the sort of clustering I'm interested in is more
often for redundancy, not performance. Typically I'm looking for sort of
an application-level SSI (single system image)--that is, something that
looks like a single system that's always up to a certain application,
but for other applications is visible as multiple systems, some of which
are up and some of which are down.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs%cynic.net@localhost>   +81 90 7737 2974