Re: Issues with native build of -10 on VAX

On 2023-12-12 16.57, emu wrote:
On 2023-12-10 22:50, Greg Oster wrote:
Using a very recent -current source and your patch my simh test with -current is up to libgmp, which is the furthest it's ever been in recent memory!  (I did a cross-build with a patched source tree, and then installed the results on a simh instance. I am now doing a 'native' build with that simh instance.  I also have a native build happening on a physical 4000/60... but the results from the latter will be weeks off..)

Thanks!

Later...

Greg Oster

Any chance you guys would share, how to set it up? I got a clean install of NetBSD-10.0_RC1-vax on a 4000/90.

Now what?

Grab a copy of NetBSD-10.0_RC1 (or -current) sources (various options here: https://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-fetch.html , e.g. from:
http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-10/202312120410Z/source/sets/
) and put them somewhere (they don't have to go into /usr/src ).

How do I get the gcc12 on it, with the required patches?

You don't need to get gcc12 -- You can just use the gcc that is with the sources you fetch above. Grab the patch that Kalvis posted on Dec 7, and patch the source.

Get is from PKGSRC first & install, than start a "build.sh -V HAVE_GCC12"?

Just use regular 'build.sh' - no need to specify a different compiler once the compiler sources are patched... e.g.:

 cd /u1/builds/build1/src/
 sh ./build.sh -U -u -m vax -D /u1/builds/build1/install/vax \
    -R /u1/builds/build1/release

if your sources are in /u1/builds/build1/src/.  (My build line is actually:

  sh ./build.sh -U -u -m vax -j 2 -V MAKECONF=/u1/builds/mk.conf \
    -D /u1/builds/build3/install/vax -R /u1/builds/build3/release

as the build line gets generated and run by a different script...)

You'll want to have a healthy amount of swapspace setup... right now I'd suggest 512MB or better. And set your shell limts to something like:

cputime      unlimited
filesize     unlimited
datasize     524288 kbytes
stacksize    8192 kbytes
coredumpsize 0 kbytes
memoryuse    58296 kbytes
memorylocked 19432 kbytes
maxproc      148
maxthread    2048
openfiles    548
sbsize       unlimited
vmemoryuse   524288 kbytes

(which I do with this, in csh:
limit maxproc unlimited
limit datasize unlimited
limit stacksize unlimited
limit coredumpsize 0
limit openfiles unlimited
limit vmemoryuse unlimited
)

If you don't bump the default limits up building certain files will fail... with '-j 2' I needed over 512MB to get the build to not fail - 1024MB seems better...

Sorry, my machines(and me?) collected a lot of dust in the last years ...

Hopefully the above helps clear the dust a bit :)

Later...

Greg Oster