Re: Bountysource campaign for gcc-vax

On 2021-05-02 08:00, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Sun, May 02, 2021 at 03:23:24AM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
  I would suggest that you try GCC 11.1 right away (which has been already
released, as from Apr 27th) to see how it performs, and shake out any
issues that you can and report ones you cannot (I'd be glad to help with
anything on the GCC side).  This may well take those 2-3 months as I
predicted earlier on in this discussion.

I'd strongly encourage going this way and shaking out things early.

It is very unlikely that the official vax sources will switch to any
newer gcc before 11.3 and there are other restrictions that might delay
this switch: we only handle two different gcc versions in the main
source tree, and we have not yet switched everything to gcc 10 (for
example we see serious regressions when generating code for ARM v6
cpus).

I'd be very interested in trying.

However, I have never tried getting a different version of gcc setup for a build. I do have a different NetBSD system on which I do cross-build for VAX, since it hasn't worked to do a native build in something like 10 years (maybe 15, I can't even remember anymore).

But I would then need to setup that system to do a cross-build for VAX, with that cross build containing the new gcc. How do I do that.

And once I've installed that on my VAX, I want to test a native build, which means I want the VAX system setup to do a native build using the new gcc. Also not sure how I go about that.

I've tried looking at BUILDING before, but couldn't really figure it out from that documentation.

Also, are GCC 11.1 for VAX available as a tarball or something from somehwere? Or where do I get it?

Sorry, these seem like rather trivial questions, but when it comes to building NetBSD I've long since given up on knowing intimate details, since the whole setup with build.sh and the cross compiling environment just made it all a bit too complicated for me to try and understand (in my head, I'm almost still with the old makefile solution, especially since I still work on 2.11BSD as well).

  Johnny