Re: Address of second TMSCP controller

On 2021-01-26 13:57, Mouse wrote:
In addition to a broken TK70, which is being recognised fine by
NetBSD as mt0, I want to use a 40/80GB DLT on a Dilog SQ703 SCSI
TMSCP adapter.

NetBSD doesn't recognise it on booting.=C2=A0 I don't see anything
about addressing in the hardware wiki, does anybody know the address
where NetBSD looks for a second controller?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't.  The only TMSCP device I see is

mtc*		at uba? csr 0174500	# Tape MSCP ctlr

Since there's no other mtc in sight, I rather wonder why it's mtc*
rather than mtc0 - perhaps for machines with multiple buses?

I imagine you could add a second mtc line to your config at whatever
address you put your Dilog card at.  ISTR that DEC had a bunch of rules
for such addresses - the phrase "floating CSR space" comes to mind -
but I don't think anything keeps you from putting it anywhere as long
as (a) it doesn't overlap with any other device and (b) you tell the
kernel where you put it (in your second mtc line).

All correct.
And for the record, the "official" address of a second TMSCP controller then actually depends on what other devices you have on your machine. But, assuming you have nothing else that sits in the floating CSR space, the second TMSCP controller would then be expected to be at 0160404.

But, as Mouse says, you basically pick any address you want. As long as the configuration on the card matches that in your config, you're good.

  Johnny