Re: KA410 Boot Failure With TKZ-50

On 2020-06-14 14:01, Anders Magnusson wrote:

P.S. Here's something I can't remember, quite.  The KA410 also has an
onboard controller for an ST506 hard drive.  Does _that_ emulate MSCP?

My recollection says that the whole disk format was done in software, to be compatible with the RQDX3. And looking in NetBSD, it looks like it has a simpler interface than MSCP for the disks on that controller. (But I could be looking at the wrong thing...)
The VS2k had a HDC9224 ST506 controller, programmed as ST506 controllers were at that time :-) It also had a NCR5380 for SCSI, and same here - just a normal SCSI controller, programmed directly.

Both of these had their own DMA area which were not in main memory, so data had to be copied to its destination.

Thanks. That confirms what I thought I remembered as well as what I was seeing in the code. And also answers Thor's question.

  Johnny