Re: VS3100M76 - current

On 2014-05-23 13:41, Holm Tiffe wrote:
Johnny Billquist wrote:

        Johnny

At first, I have 1.5.3 running multiuser in the network, fine so far but a
little bit dated. I'm called now to come to the barbicue down in the
backyard. Next I'll measure the times for you so that you get an
eassumption
how long this kernel loading takes...

No need. I know it takes a long time. I've netbooted current on the 3600
I mentioned a number of times.
 From start of booting until I get the login prompt that machine takes
about 30 minutes.

        Johnny

Ok. ... and where we begin now? (hope to prevent silence this time).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The problem you are observing is that things like newfs and tar crash with a signal 11. That is a real bug, and something that someone needs to look at. I do not have a machine to reproduce this on. If noone else have one, or the time to look at it right now, then it's not going to get fixed right now. The most important thing then is to file a bug so that this do not get forgotten.

The second issue you are talking about is the slowness of current versions. That is not really a bug in the same sense (but it might still be a bug in the end). I, and others, are aware that performance sucks. I occasionally try to look at it, but don't really have time. Others occasionally look at it as well. You can definitely file a bug on that one as well, but who knows when or how it will be worked on.

As for you specific machines and possible hardware problems. While it looks funny I have no idea if you actually have an issue there or not.
I would start by checking those self test errors to see what they mean.

        Johnny