Re: VS3100M76 - current

Johnny Billquist wrote:

[..]

> >Hm. I'm booting -current over the net now, will try to using its
> >installboot.
>
> Back in the 1.5 days, I believe I used disklabel to install the boot
> blocks... Check the arguments to disklabel, there are several that are
> relevant here...

I've tried installboot and disklabel in several combinations of the
arguments and watched the contens of /dev/rsd0c and wasn't able to
install the boot successfully.

But :-)

The installboot from -current using the sdboot from -current worked
at the first try. I can boot 1.5.3 from the Quantum disk.
The primary bootstrap is rev 1.11 on both systems, dont checked for
differences in the 2nd bootstrap jet..

> >While watching again that spinner, there MUST be something wrong.
> >You can't compare the speed of netbooting 1.5.3 and 6-current.
> >The differene is by factor 100 or more. I've gunzipped several kernels in
> >the mantime, that really doesn't take that long, even on that slow VAXen.
> >
> >Is it possible that thre is something wrong with interrupts..?
>
> No idea. I wouldn't suspect interrupts to be the problem, but I can't
> really exclude anything.
>
>       Johnny

:-)

Who can..

That booting is really (really!) dog slow. It takes 15-20 minutes at least
where 1.5.3 is up in a minute or two or so..

Since this happens while booting from cdrom and from the net (from the same
server) I think something is running in timeouts or so..

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info%tsht.de@localhost, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741