Re: VS3100M76 - current

Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On 2014-05-22 16:51, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> >Johnny Billquist wrote:

> >>Oh. I thought it halted when booting your disk.
> >>I would expect the CD to have /dev populated.
> >>
> >>More recent versions will setup a /dev on the fly if it don't exist, but
> >>it takes a hell of a long time on a VAX, I can tell...
> >>But I have no memory of that ability being in 1.5.3.
> >>
> >>    Johnny
> >
> >Hmm.. that wasn't there as I've experimented last time with taht rtVAX and
> >netbooting.. but I'll look for, just in case ...
>
> Don't hurt to check. And I definitely remember the system just hanging
> if /dev wasn't populated.
>
> >Another thing:
> >
> >It is curious, but I can't get the M38 boot from sd0 (dka300).
>
> [...]
>
> I don't think it was ever not supported to boot, but getting the disk
> label on the disk, as well as getting the boot blocks on the disk used
> to be very tricky. The tools did not work well.
>
> The fact that you seem to have a fictitious label suggests that this is
> your problem.
>
> Afraid I can't give good instructions at that point. I used to have to
> jump through various hoops, incantations of disklabel and bypassing the
> disk cache in order to get a label on the disk.
>
>       Johnny

Hm. I'm booting -current over the net now, will try to using its
installboot.
While watching again that spinner, there MUST be something wrong.
You can't compare the speed of netbooting 1.5.3 and 6-current.
The differene is by factor 100 or more. I've gunzipped several kernels in
the mantime, that really doesn't take that long, even on that slow VAXen.

Is it possible that thre is something wrong with interrupts..?

..mumble...

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info%tsht.de@localhost, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741