Re: newfs seems stuck in loop

Rhialto wrote:
On Sun 02 May 2010 at 15:47:09 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Sounds more like a broken disk to me. The fact that newfs sits still
in userland don't say anything. It might be waiting for somegthing
just sitting in userland as well. Any other processes on the machine
that might be relevant?

Before this, I read and wrote the whole disk with dd, which went at
reasonable pace (reading about 1100 KB/sec, writing about 800 KB/sec,
iirc) and without any obvious errors.

Newfs isn't just waiting, it is actively using CPU time.

I don't think there were any other significant processes, certainly not
with the -current install. At most sysinst with whatever it starts.

Hmm. I don't have many bright ideas right now, sorry.
I hope you are not trying to use a partition that extends past the end of the disk.

Do it work fine if you try to create a smaller partition?

        Johnny