Re: newfs seems stuck in loop

Rhialto wrote:
On Sun 02 May 2010 at 14:03:28 +0200, Rhialto wrote:
Anyway, in the emulator, even with the too small disk, newfs has no
problems initializing a partition of about 1300 MB...

Booted from NetBSD 2.0F, I am running its newfs command:

/sbin/newfs -O 1 -b 16384 -f 2048 /dev/rsd0e

it didn't like the "-V2" option, and it prints a different number of
inodes per cylinder group (23424) but the rest of the numbers it shows
are the same. Now too it takes a long time after printing the last
superblock number.

It might be the disk; it makes some rattling sounds now and then, like
it is recalibrating (somewhat similar to the sounds of a Commodore
floppy disk drive, actually). It also gets quite hot. But newfs loops in
user space and no kernel time is used, so it may well be unrelated.

It might also be something else with this hardware; but I'm pretty sure
it once worked since the older 2 GB disk is partitioned similarly, and
actually slightly larger, but I'm not sure with which version it was
originally newfs'ed.

I have a couple of 18 GB disks spare to try, but they have SCA
connectors so I'll have to buy some converter first.

Meanwhile, a full installation in SIMH on a 1505 MB RA92 disk image
completed and appears to run fine:

# dhclient qe0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.3
Copyright 2004-2005 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

Listening on BPF/qe0/08:00:2b:aa:bb:cc
Sending on   BPF/qe0/08:00:2b:aa:bb:cc
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on qe0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
DHCPOFFER from 10.0.0.13
DHCPREQUEST on qe0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 10.0.0.13
bound to 10.0.0.249 -- renewal in 40302 seconds.
# df -h
Filesystem        Size       Used      Avail %Cap Mounted on
/dev/ra0a         1.3G       444M       779M  36% /
kernfs            1.0K       1.0K         0B 100% /kern
ptyfs             1.0K       1.0K         0B 100% /dev/pts
procfs            4.0K       4.0K         0B 100% /proc
#

Sounds more like a broken disk to me. The fact that newfs sits still in userland don't say anything. It might be waiting for somegthing just sitting in userland as well. Any other processes on the machine that might be relevant?

Just FYI, I recently (like a couple of weeks ago) created a 8G file system on a ccd of four RA73 disks. Worked just fine.
This on NetBSD 4.99.19 and a VAX8650.

That machine is currently in the process of getting updated to current, but if you want me to test anything, let me know. I have two RA73 on the machine that are unused.

        Johnny