Re: netbsd on vax 11/730; booting in sim

  I'm sorry for jumping in, but I just couldn't let this pass. ;)

On Jan 11, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
Yes. Comcrap delivered NOS VAX hardware until that date for those
"inert" people who could / want not recognize that the days of the VAX
had ended when the first Alphas entered the market.

This is utter nonsense. I recognize it as a particularly American brand of well-trained consumerism. As you're in Germany, I'm absolutely shocked to hear it. But either way, it's utter nonsense. "Thing v1" doesn't automatically stop working just because "Thing v2" has been introduced. Or, more specifically, "Thing Design" doesn't automatically stop being viable because "Other Thing Design" has been let out of the stable.

And as far a speed comparisions, that's difficult. The speed range of
the VAXstation 3100 series is very wide. The 3100/76 is pretty ok.
And that one is contemporary with the SPARCstation 1, I believe.

A SS1 or DS3100 runs circles around a VS3100m76. You probably need at
least a VS4k60 to beat a SS1.

I have to take a very slight exception to this. From running most of these machines side-by-side, I can say that a 4000/60 is *quite a bit* faster than an SS1. In fact, to me, it feels noticeably faster than an SS1+.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL