Re: netbsd on vax 11/730; booting in sim

Hi.

Andrew Sporner wrote:
Hi Mouse,

For some reason my posts are not appearing on the list (they were!)
so if you reply, I would apprecate that the list is on it.  -- Thanks

I have been away from the list for about 10 years so I see a lot has
happened.  A few questions come to mind.

1.  When they have their "brainstorming sessions" is not a representative
from each port asked, or is it assumed that "wintel" is the core platform
and everything is ported from there?

I cant't speak for how NetBSD core works, but it sure feels like that from here. :-)

2.  How many active people are still doing vax stuff?  By unhappy fate
with contracts  I will have extra time on my hands so I intend to work
on the frame buffer for the VaxStation 4000/60 and whatever else is
interesting (needed).

Core system hacking is much more needed than fram buffer stuff right now, but I guess any contributions are always welcome. I guess I'm still semi-interested, considering that I'm still here, and still post.

 The real question is why the VAX people are even still here, not why
 they're not contributing more.  Perhaps Johnny is right and it's time
 for another fork.  NetBSD seems to be no longer interested in
 supporting the legacy systems that were once one of its big strengths;
 maybe it's time for a BSD that is.

I have been working in the embedded systems for the last 8 or so
years designing routers.  The first one was at first NetBSD based, then
switched to FreeBSD because of PCI performance was better
(http://www.nitro-switch.de) and now I am working in Vxworks.
I would much prefer to use somebody BSD like but alas without MMU
it doesn't go.  Linux on the other hand does.

Funny. I used to work for a company doing embedded systems as well, and used NetBSD initially, but moved away from it. They are now using Linux, but I'm not there anymore.

I would think enough momentum could be generated by the inherrent
portablility of NetBSD to work also as an Embedded system and also
be usefull for Legacy systems as well..

I think that that used to be true, but isn't any more.

The trick and most difficult thing is getting people to communicate with
each other--which has never been easy in ANY BSD port :-)

:-)

        Johnny