Re: SMP bugs ( was Re: Severe deadlock issues with 5.0/MP )

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Julian Coleman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Speaking of which - I still see occasional SIRs on my U60,
>
> > Watchdog Reset
> > Externally Initiated Reset
>
> I see these on a U60 that is still running 3.99.* (UP kernel).  I assumed
> that it was a hardware fault, as they occur randomly, seemingly independent
> of the load.  Am I wrong?

If it's really an XIR, then it probably is a hardware issue.  The XIR line
goes directly to the CPU and should only be used for debugging purposes,
so the machine probably has a power supply problem.

If it's an SIR then it's a software problem.

Eduardo