Re: Booting 10.0 from CD on Sparc IPC fails - Data Access Exception

> I wanted to boot from the miniroot again, but failed.  Very strange.
> Look

> Type b (boot), c (continue), or n (new command mode)
>  >boot sd(,,1)netbsd -s
> Probing Memory Bank #: 1 2 3 4 5
> Booting from: sd(0,0,0)oot sd(,,1)netbsd -s
>  >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.15
>  >> (mrg%xotica.eterna23.net@localhost, Tue Nov 25 12:41:36 UTC 2014)
> Booting oot

There is an important clue here.  The kernel filename is printed
(twice) as "oot".

The old ROM code uses only one character for the command.  The command
is "b", not "boot".  Your "boot" is taken as "b oot", ie, `please boot
the kernel named "oot" from the default device', with the
"sd(,,1)netbsd -s" being args to this "oot" kernel.  (The default
device in your case is presumably sd(0,0,0).)

This then fails, naturally enough.  You then specify something more
likely to work

> device[sd(0,0,0)oot] ("halt" to halt): sd(0,0,1)netbsd -s

and it boots.  But, since you say you end up running off your existing
root, it looks to me as though that's a normal kernel, not an
installation miniroot kernel - but I don't really understand the
installation minroot on SPARCs; it's been a very long time since I
installed a SPARC by any means other than (1) netboot or (2) copying an
existing install.

> I am not familiar with the old OBP....

> but it looks as if it somehow misintepreted my boot command?

It did.  I don't know whether that's relevant.

I do notice that it printed "sd(0,0,0)" in its prompt.  I speculate
(and speculation is all it is) that it is, for whatever reason, using
sd(0,0,0) rather than the sd(0,0,1) you gave at the prompt, leading to
it booting netbsd -s from sd(0,0,0), which would explain why it got
your existing installation rather than the miniroot.

Try deleting the "oot" from the first command: b sd(,,1)netbsd -s

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign