Re: "State of the Union" for the port (9.3)

>> The on-board cg14/SX (with the appropriate VDIMM) should work in X11
>> in 24 bits with acceleration, including some Xrender acceleration,
>> and it's getting better

It's also possible to run dual-depth (8bpp and 24bpp on the screen at
the same time); I run one of mine that way.  I don't know whether
NetBSD's X can do it, though - I do it with a ddx layer I wrote for MIT
X.  (I don't have any acceleration, though.  I intend to at some point
reverse-engineer enough of the SUNW,sx from the NetBSD code to add at
least a little.)

>> The ZX I don't think is well supported in NetBSD.  Never seen one in real l$

I think I have, or at least had, one, though I may be getting it
confused with something else.  I never found enough documentation to
use it as more than a dumb framebuffer.

> On that note - does NetBSD support 1280x1024 with this â??cardâ?? ?  I have $

With the cg14?  My experience is limited to 1.4T, but I find that it
works just fine at whatever resolution the OBP leaves it set to, which
can include 1280x1024 if you have an 8M VSIMM or you run in 8bpp.  I
would hope it hasn't regressed since for console use.  I hold little
hope for X; I've been very depressed by the state of "modern" X - it
exhibits numerous regressions as compared to historical X.  And nobody
but me seems to even notice, much less care.  (What regressions?
Mostly variations on "the whole world is a peecee running Linux with a
24bpp framebuffer and a GPU".)

There are limitations on other resolutions, though; the X resolution
apparently must be a multiple of 32 pixels, for example.  See my
sunhelp message of 2008-08-08, slightly mangled archived version at
http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue_sunhelp.org/2008-August/124772.html,
for what I know of it.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign